Social Work and Human Services
Week 5 – Critical Reflections, Professional Identity and Career Long Learning (EPAS 2.1.1, 2.1.3) – VoiceThread Video “Mini-Training” Presentation Instructions
Writer, I will be doing the video and not you and all you need to do is just write out this assignment for me that is all and answer the questions about it…. I am doing my practicum at (Try County Counseling Service) and it is a clinic to help patients with their problems and they open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday and I am working very close with my field instructor and I must tell you about my patients that I see and the clients that I see with my field instructor, the clients that I see have Depression/Anxiety, hyperactive (ADHD) Alcohol and drug abuse, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Learning Disabilities. I work with my field instructor very close and I work hand in hand with her and she have been teaching me how to work with the clients and we have a meeting once a month with all the Psychiatrist, psychologist and social workers along with the consolers and social workers.
For this week’s assignment:
1. Create and submit a written script of your Voice-Thread video discussion.
The goal is to show organization of thought prior to recording your video post. You must type out your comments verbatim. Use APA style citations to reference readings discussed in your video discussion. These references can be from both the assigned readings and outside sources.
2. Record approximately a 3-5 minute video that addresses the following:
o Drawing from agency trainings, conferences or educational workshops you have attended that focus on practice with Hispanic children and families, provide a video presentation or “mini-training” that reflects a topic from the training, conference or educational workshop.
o If you have not had an opportunity to attend any trainings, develop your own “mini-training” for agency staff focusing on cultural competence in practice with Hispanic children and families.
o At the end of your recording, include critical reflection to describe how the information provided in your Video Presentation or “Mini-Training” has affected your Professional Identity and will affect your Career Long Learning goals.
3. After recording the video, return to your transcript to ensure that the text in your transcript matches what you actually said in your recording.
• Your written transcript can be produced in Word and submitted electronically in this forum item (so that all students can have universal access to what you have said in the video). There is no set format. The instructor will be looking for proof of effective prior planning and preparation for your video presentation, as well as accuracy of text compared to your recording.
• Name video as: Week # – Topic – Student Name (i.e. Week 3 – Assessment – Student Name)
• To receive full credit, all integrative topics listed in the assignment outline must be addressed. The video recording must show integration of field placement experience along with the unit readings.
Objectives, Readings, and Resources
After completing this unit’s activities, you will be able to:
1. Interpret and share information from an agency training, conference or educational workshop that focused on practice with Hispanic children and families.
2. Describe and articulate the impact the featured training information had on your professional identity and career long learning goals.
All articles and pdfs for this course are located in the Sueltenfuss Library. You can access them directly by going to: http://ollu.docutek.com/eres/and by using the password ¬¬¬¬¬7159.
Dolgoff, R., Loewenberg, F., & Harrington, D. (2005). Ethical Decisions for Social Work
Practice. (8th ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole.
Kiser, P. (2012). The Human Services Internship: Getting the Most from your Experience.
Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, pages 321
Montilla, R., E., & Smith, R., L. (2005). Working with Latino Populations: Background and
Historical Perspectives. pp. 27-40. In Smith, R.L &Montilla, R. E. Counseling and Family Therapy with Latino Populations: Strategies that Work.
Vega, W. A., et al. (2007). Research Issues for Improving Treatment of US Hispanics with
Persistent Mental Disorders. Psychiatric Services, 58(3), 385-394.
• Garthwait, C.L. (2014). The Social Work practicum: A Guide and workbook for students (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon
o Chapters 17, 18, 19
Accessing Docutek Articles
1. Click on Docuteck access — http://ollu.docutek.com/eres/
2. New Screen: Click on link listed at the first arrow
3. New Screen: Select “Social Work” from pull down menu and Click “Select”
4. New Screen: Click your course number from left hand column
5. New Screen: Put “7159” into the box and Click ” Accept”
6. Click on the document you want.– article will open in new window