***MAIN RESEARCH QUESTION is: How have LGBTQ stereotypes been incorporated into mainstream print advertising?
***MY IDEAS ARE: (please develop these ideas and adds a few more points about the stereotypes.)
1.LGBTQ representation involves highly affluent and educated white male and female (mostly male) professionals. Only those coming from White race and upper class are shown.
2. Incomplete families for the case of LGBTQs. Just because the couple involves people of the same sex, most of the ads do not include children implying that the couple cannot make up a complete
family. Gay couples are together to have fun and enjoy life without interruption of other people such as children.
3. Nevertheless, most of the ads are very effective in passing their marketing messages across that helps in connecting with LGBTQs.
*** THE AIM OF THIS PAPER is to examine portrayals(especially, stereotypes) of LGBTQ and understand its characteristics and reflection of our society in American consumer brand companies print
advertisement. Analyze 10 American consumer brand companies’ print advertisements and answer the following research questions. (Allstate, Delta, GAP, H&M, Tiffany&Co., Macy’s, Adidas, American
Apparel, Starbucks, Banana republic)
1. How media and advertising have reinforced gender roles when they portrait LGBTQ?(please include some literature reviews)
2. Detailed definition of the term LGBTQ and its visibility in media/culture (please include this in the introduction)
3. How have LGBTQ stereotypes been incorporated into mainstream print advertising?
4. What is ‘pink dollar?’ (it’s relation with ‘gay spender’ stereotypes)
5. What are the meanings and effects of ‘rainbow’ symbol?
6. What slogans are used and what they promote?
7. How does LGBTQ-friendly advertising reflect our social or cultural norms