Economics Internal Assessment
Produce a commentary based on an article from published news media. The article must be based on the section of the syllabus (microeconomics):
-The above article is based on tax and negative/positive externalities of production/consumption.
The article may be from a newspaper or the internet. If a student includes a relatively lengthy article, which is very much discouraged, the student must highlight the section(s) of the article
upon which the commentary is based.
The commentary must:
– Explain the linkages between the article and economic theory taken from the section of the syllabus on which the article is based.
– Demonstrate economic insights into the implications of the article (that is, it should provide evidence of the student’s ability to discuss current events from the point of view of an economist).
The following are NOT included in the word count:
– Contents page
– Diagrams (at least TWO diagrams)
– Labels (of five words or fewer)
– Headings on diagrams – of 10 words or fewer
– Tables of statistical data
– Equations, formulae and calculations
– Citations (which, if used, must be in the body of the commentary)
References (which, if used, must be in the footnotes/endnotes)