Unit 6: Business Decision Making
Task 2 – Group Presentation 2 (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.1, 3.2)
L02- Understand a range of techniques to analyse data effectively for business purposes
2.1, Create information for decision making by summarising data using representative values
2.2, Analyse the results to draw valid conclusions in a business context
2.3, Analyse data using measures of dispersion to inform a given business scenario
2.4, Explain how quartiles, percentiles and the correlation coefficient are used to draw useful conclusions in a business context
L03- Be able to produce information in appropriate formats for decision making in an organisational context.
3.1, Produce graphs using spreadsheets and draw valid conclusions based on the information derived
3.2, Create trend lines in spreadsheet graphs to assist in forecasting for specified business information
Task 3– Written Report (3.3, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3)
L03 – Be able to produce information in appropriate formats for decision making in an organisational context
3.3, Prepare a business presentation using suitable software and techniques to disseminate information effectively
3.4, Produce a formal business report
L04 – Be able to use software-generated information to make decisions in an organisation
4.1, Use appropriate information processing tools
4.2, Prepare a project plan for an activity and determine the critical path
4.3, Use financial tools for decision making.
For the given scenario, prepare a presentation that addresses the following.
• Make a recommendation on actions Dubai government could take to increase household recycling rates, clearly explaining how the recommendations were derived from the data analysis
• Prepare a project plan for Dubai government actions outlined above with timelines, start / end dates, deliverables, milestones, effort and resource requirements
• Highlight the critical path on the project plan
• Estimate the financial benefits associated with the proposed recommendation
All pass criteria achieved = Pass
All pass criteria plus all merit criteria achieved = Merit
All pass criteria plus all merit criteria plus all distinction criteria achieved = Distinction
To achieve a Pass grade, you must achieve the following:
• Produce a detailed plan of how you will collect the data, justifying the usage of primary and secondary sources. Primary data can be collected by administering questionnaires. Data from the internet or other published sources can be used as secondary data.
• Present the survey methodology used. Discuss in your report how the sample was selected from a population. You must provide a minimum of 25 responses which means you must survey a larger number.
• Produce a questionnaire for the investigation into Dubai household recycling habits. The questionnaire may ask 10-15 questions and you can circulate your questionnaire within or outside of the University. You can also work on the design of the questionnaire together with a fellow student, if you wish.
• You will need to classify, record and present your market findings appropriately.
• Using data collected – either primary, secondary or both – analyse it by the use of averages (mean, median, mode) and measures of dispersion (standard deviation, inter-quartile range).
• Estimate the statistical relationship between the monthly household income and the frequency of recycling for a household. For this, you can use the survey collected data. You will need to calculate and interpret the correlation coefficient, coefficient of determination and calculate the constants “a” and ”b” for your linear regression model.
• Present your findings appropriately, using Excel spreadsheet graphs (line, pie, bar charts and histograms), tables, scatter XY graphs, etc.
• Predict future household recycling rates over the next 5 years based on the data collected.
• Produce a formal business report detailing your findings from the tasks above to present to the Dubai government.
• Please remember to present your reports in a professional format, using technical language and respect the submission date.
To achieve Merit and Distinction Grades, you must achieve the following:
• M1 – Demonstrate the application of the relevant theories and techniques and to show how data can be analysed to form effective judgments about the research problem.
• M2 – Show evidence that a range of sources of primary and secondary data has been used to gather information for the purpose of research.
• M3 – Ensure that the appropriate structure and approach has been used in preparing the business report. Also, your report shall be submitted on time.
• D1 – Demonstrate that synthesis (combining the various parts to form a cohesive, integrated report) has been used to generate and justify valid conclusions based on your data analysis.
• D2 – Demonstrate autonomy/independence while conducting data analysis and drawing conclusions.
• D3 – Evaluate the research process and the validity of your conclusions. For this, you will need to assess the reliability of data and also describe how your research might have been constrained by time and other factors.
If you need any further assistance with this assignment please contact your tutor.
• Follow the report style (Arial font, size 12, with 1.5 spacing, black colon) with appropriate title page, page numbers, titles & sub-titles, introduction, conclusion, bibliography.
• Upload the reports for Tasks 1 and 2 with a cover sheet on the Turnitin link on Moodle.
• For the group presentation, please upload one copy on Moodle and bring one copy to the presentation with a separate section highlighting which student completed which section(s).
• Sources of information and references are not included in your word count.
• Word length: Not more than 2,500 words.