1. What role did WW2 play in the creation of Israel? How can the role of the UN in deciding to partition Palestine be understood/explained?
2. Why did the Arabs fail to defend the rights of the people of Palestine?
* David Hirst, The Gun and the Olive Branch: The Roots of Violence in the Middle East, London: Faber and Faber, 1977. Pp108-122. File?
* David Hirst, The Gun and the Olive Branch: The Roots of Violence in the Middle East, London: Faber and Faber, 1977. Pp147-154. File??
* Illan Pappe, “Zionism as Colonialism: A Comparative View of Diluted Colonialism in Asia and Africa”, South Atlantic Quarterly 107:4, Fall 2008. File???
* Ari Shavit “Survival of the Fittest? An Interview with Benny Morris” Logosonline 2004, https://www.logosonline.com/morris.htm
Discussion questions:choose just 2 questions ,
1. How did US intervention in Iran in 1953 characterise US policy toward the Middle East?
2. What part did the Cold War play in destabilising Middle East in the 1950s and 1960s?
3. What was the basis of the Bagdad Pact? In what ways did it tie Middle East states into the US system?
3. Was the Suez Crisis a defining moment in Third World politics? What did it mean for the Middle East?
* Fred Halliday, The Middle East in International Relations, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge: 2005. Pp 97-119.