· focus on the question
· clear articulation and assessment of arguments
· discussion of empirical evidence for and against particular arguments
· coherent structure organised around headings
· a wide range of reading related to the essay title
· appropriate use of figures and tables
· proper referencing
· grammar, punctuation, style
1. What role does social class play in relation to a speaker’s use of language? Include a discussion of research in this area to support your answer.
2. Explain both code-switching and diglossia, and the reasons why speakers may practise such phenomena.
3. 1 in 5 people feel they are discriminated against because of their accent. Give an account of the research that examines people’s attitudes to different accents, and the consequences of such attitudes.
4. It is often assumed that men and women speak the same language differently. Include a discussion of the various approaches (with your main focus on social constructionism and Community of Practice paradigm) to researching language and gender to explore whether this assumption is correct or outdated.
1. Use in text references in the format of (Author, Year: page number)
1. You need to use (and reference) a minimum of five printed sources for any type of assignment
2. URLs can be used in addition to these printed sources, not instead of them
3. Don’t use or refer to www.wikipedia.org