This assignment provides documentation of student ability to meet the following course outcomes:
CO1: Explore computer technology issues in nursing informatics (PO #7).
CO2: Distinguish between the contributions of computer science, information science, and nursing science to nursing informatics (PO #7).
CO5: Determine human factor issues in nursing informatics (PO #7).
CO7: Analyze systems management issues in nursing informatics (PO #7).
This assignment is worth a total of 100 points.
1. The You Decide Reflection is worth 100 points and will be graded on quality of self-assessment, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and overall
organization based on the required components as summarized in the directions and grading criteria/rubric.
2. Create your essay using Microsoft Word (a part of Microsoft Office), You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in “.docx.”
3. Follow the directions and grading criteria closely. Any questions about your essay may be posted under the Q & A Forum.
4. The length of the reflection is to be no less than 300 words and no greater than 600 words, excluding title page and reference pages.
5. APA format is required with both a title page and reference page. Use the required components of the review as Level 1 headers (upper and lower case, centered):
Note: Introduction – Write an introduction but do not use “Introduction” as a heading in accordance with the rules put forth in the Publication manual of the American Psychological Association
(2010, p. 63).
a. You Decide Reflection
PREPARING YOUR REFLECTION
The DNP Essentials (AACN, 2006) outline a number of information systems/technology and patient care technology competencies for the improvement and transformation of healthcare. Reflect on the
NR706 course readings, discussion threads, and applications you have completed across this course and write a short essay regarding the extent to which you feel you are now prepared to:
1. Design, select, use, and evaluate programs that evaluate and monitor outcomes of care, care systems, and quality improvement including consumer use of healthcare information systems.
2. Analyze and communicate critical elements necessary to the selection, use, and evaluation of healthcare information systems and patient care technology.
3. Demonstrate the conceptual ability and technical skills to develop and execute an evaluation plan involving data extraction from practice information systems and databases.
4. Provide leadership in the evaluation and resolution of ethical and legal issues within healthcare systems relating to the use of information, information technology, communication networks,
and patient care technology.
5. Evaluate consumer health information sources for accuracy, timeliness, and appropriateness (p. 13).
American Association of Colleges of Nursing [AACN]. (2006).The essentials of doctoral education for advanced nursing practice. Washington, DC: Author.
DIRECTIONS AND GRADING CRITERIA
Category Points % Description
Introduction 8 8 Introduces the purpose of the reflection and addresses DNP Essentials (AACN, 2006) pertinent to information systems/technology and patient care technology for the
improvement and transformation of healthcare
You Decide Reflection 80 80 Includes a self-assessment regarding learning that you believe represents your skills, knowledge, and integrative abilities to meet the pertinent DNP
competencies as a result of active learning throughout this course. Be sure to use examples from selected readings, threaded discussions, and/or applications to support your assertions.
Conclusion 4 4 An effective conclusion identifies the main ideas and major conclusions from the body of your essay. Minor details are left out. Summarize the benefits of the
pertinent DNP competencies to information systems/ technology and patient care technology.
Clarity of Writing 6 6 Use of standard English grammar and sentence structure. No spelling errors or typographical errors. Organized around the required components using
APA Format 2 2 All information taken from another source, even if summarized, must be appropriately cited in the manuscript and listed in the references using APA (6th ed.) format:
1. Document setup
2. Title and reference pages
3. Citations in the text and references.
A quality essay will meet or exceed all of the above requirements.
Assignment Criteria Meets Criteria Partially Meets Criteria Does Not Meet Criteria
(8 pts.) Short introduction of selected DNP competencies pertinent to information systems/technology and patient care technology. Rationale is well presented and purposefully developed.
7–8 points Basic understanding and/or limited use of original explanation and/or inappropriate emphasis on an area.
5–6 points Little or very general introduction of selected DNP competencies. Little to no original explanation; inappropriate emphasis on an area.
You Decide Reflection
(80 pts.) Excellent self-assessment of skills, knowledge, and integrative abilities pertinent to information systems/technology and patient care technology. Reflection on pertinent DNP
competencies supported with examples.
70–80 points Basic self-assessment of skills, knowledge, and integrative abilities pertinent to information systems/technology and patient care technology. Reflection on pertinent DNP
competencies not supported with examples.
59–69 points Little or very general self-assessment of skills, knowledge, and integrative abilities pertinent to information systems/technology and patient care technology. Little or no
reflection on pertinent DNP competencies or reflection not supported with examples.
(4 pts.) Excellent understanding of pertinent DNP competencies. Conclusions are well evidenced and fully developed.
3–4 points Basic understanding and/or limited use of original explanation and/or inappropriate emphasis on an area.
2 points Little understanding of pertinent DNP competencies. Little to no original explanation; inappropriate emphasis on an area.
Clarity of Writing
(6 pts.) Excellent use of standard English showing original thought. No spelling or grammar errors. Well organized with proper flow of meaning.
5–6 points Some evidence of own expression and competent use of language. No more than three spelling or grammar errors. Well organized thoughts and concepts.
3–4 points Language needs development. Four or more spelling and/or grammar errors. Poorly organized thoughts and concepts.
(2 pts.) APA format correct with no more than 1–2 minor errors.
2 points 3–5 errors in APA format and/or 1–2 citations are missing.
1 point APA formatting contains multiple errors and/or several citations are missing.