Find your source here: http://flps.newberry.org/
– In his 1916 article, “Trans-national America,” Randolph Bourne noted the paradox of immigrant “assimilation:” as immigrant communities “became more and more objectively American, [so] they become more German or Scandinavian or Bohemian or Polish.”
– Your job in this paper is to identify and explain this process as it appears in one article from the immigrant press of the 19th and early 20th century. You will find your article in the Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey, an online collection of translated newspaper articles.
– Your report should summarize the content of one article, explain its context and meaning, and creatively link the content of the article to concepts developed in lectures and readings. Reports must have appropriate and correct citations (footnotes).
– Good topics to search include, but are not limited to:
• Child and Parent Relations: http://flps.newberry.org/#filters/code/IB3b?page=1
• Interpretation of American History: http://flps.newberry.org/#filters/code/IJ?page=1
• Position of Women and Feminism: http://flps.newberry.org/#filters/code/IK?page=1
• Relations with Homeland: http://flps.newberry.org/#filters/code/IIIH?page=1
• Social Organization: http://flps.newberry.org/#filters/code/IE?page=1
• Activities of Nationalistic Societies: http://flps.newberry.org/#filters/code/IIIB2?page=1
• Commemoration of Holidays (national): http://flps.newberry.org/#filters/code/IIIB3a?page=1
My personal requests:
– Please research and carefully analyze Randolph Bourne’s “Trans-national America.”
– Pick an article source from http://flps.newberry.org/ that relates to “Trans-national America” and link the content of Bourne’s article to concepts developed in the website’s article.
– Also, please provide me with the link of which Newberry article was used. It MUST be relatable to the concepts of Bournes.
– I uploaded a copy of the class syllabus, so please use readings and make several references to the sources and provide thorough support.
– Books used in class so far:
– James Barrett, The Irish Way: Becoming American in the Multiethnic City. (Penguin Press, 2013).
– Mae Ngai, Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America (Princeton University Press, 2014)
– Additional readings given:
– Equiano, “The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano”
– Conzen, et al., “The Invention of Ethnicity”
– There isn’t an exact number of required sources, so please use as many readings from the syllabus as you feel necessary to thoroughly support the report. Again, the sources MUST be relatable.
– Please write a compelling introduction paragraph to suck the reader in.
– Please be accurate with citations so that plagiarism charges are not made