nursing leAdership and management week 4
1. Describe the organizational characteristics of the facility in which you currently have a clinical assignment. Include the following:
a. Type of organization
b. Overall climate of the facility
c. How the organization is structured
d. Formal and informal goals and processes of the organization
2. What are the ways in which a nurse can enhance his or her expertise?
3. Why is the work climate of an organization important to nurse leaders and managers?
4. Explain �shared governance,� and describe how it can affect the power structure of a health-care organization.
5. Why is it important for a staff nurse to understand the culture and real goals of the organization in which he or she works?
6.Create your ideal organizational chart. Describe how the various components would interact.
7. Recall the last time you walked into a hospital, clinic, or physician office for the first time. What was your first impression? Did you feel comfortable and
welcome? Why or why not? If you could change the first impression this facility makes, what would you
do? What changes could be made at a very low cost? What changes would be expensive? Finally, discuss why it is important for a health-care facility to make a good
8. Interview one of the staff nurses on your unit. Find out what practices within the organization help to empower the nurses. Compare this list of practices with
those discussed in the textbook.
textbookEssentials of Nursing Leadership and Management 5th
Diane K. Whitehead; Sally A. Weiss; Ruth M. Tappen
978-0-8036-2208-1 Davis Company, F. A.
practices that empower nurses
reward and recognition