Assessment Task 2: Group Project: Written report and oral class presentation
Groups will be limited to a maximum of three members. Peer assessment may be undertaken in this course. It will be
the responsibility of all group members to produce a quality report. Hence, if there are group problems and you need to
discuss such a situation with your lecturer act on that on time. If a group has to complete a peer assessment each student
will obtain 50% of the group mark plus some allocation of the other 50% according to the result of the peer assessment.
1) Assessment Details
This assessment involves reading and analysing the case study provided, titled: �Gym users� to develop an executive
report. The assignment is in two parts: (a) written report and (b) class presentation.
a) Written report around 2000 words (20%)
Working in groups of three, you are to design a research project. This will include using academic sources to review the
relevant literature, conducting analyses, and advising the management based on the findings of the research. More
specific requirements for the assignment will be discussed in lectures. Tutorial time in a computer laboratory has been
scheduled (weeks 6,7,8) so that you can develop an understanding of SPSS/Excel and data analysis which is essential
for your group assignment. Some lecture time will also be allocated to the group project so that your lecturer can provide
Report Structure: The group project should have the following structure:
1. Executive Summary: Major findings and major recommendations
2. Introduction: Background (of the case); purpose (of this report); two to three research objectives for a study that
you would seek to conduct; and format (of this report).
3. Write a short literature review of at least four academic sources relevant to your topic. Any source including
books, journal articles are acceptable, as long as they are relevant. You can also use a particular website for
some information. If websites are used they will be in addition of the four academic sources.
4. Describe the methodology and justify your choice.
Specifically describe about the measures, sampling method, procedure of data collection
5. Analyses and findings: Run some analysis to turn the data into useful information as follows:
a) Descriptive statistics: Sample characteristics will be described with descriptive analysis. This will include at
least the following analysis: Frequency, percentage; Measures of central tendency (means, median, mode);
Measures of dispersion (variance, standard deviation)
b) Inferential statistics: Inferential statistics will be used to analyse relationship between variables. This will
include at least the following analysis (Chi-square, Spearman�s rho, Pearson�s r, t-test, ANOVA test).
6. Discussion and managerial advise: Advise the management about the findings. This could include but not limited
to: Description of the participants; how they utilise the facilities; perceptions of the gym users towards the gym;
their feelings and self-image in general; relationships between any of the variables
7. Limitations and directions for future research. Suggestions of how the research can be improved. Examples are
the improvement on the questionnaire (by addition or deletion of variables)
8. Include a correctly constructed reference list of all sources used in the project, not just those used in the literature
review section. Appendices also should be attached which will include all the analysis and graphs etc. that are
not included in the body of the report.
* Please note that conducting both part a and b in the analysis (number 5 above) is the minimum requirement for
evaluation of the task.